City Manager Overview
The City Manager serves as Chief Administrative and Executive Officer of the City of Walker. Administers and coordinates various functions of City government as stated in the City Charter and supplemented by policies established by the City Commission.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees City's long-range development plans including projected growth, financial stability, service quality, physical facilities, etc.
- Determines and ensures that the Assistant City Manager and department heads are aware of the City government objectives and are performing their functions toward accomplishing these objectives
- Conducts staff meetings; encourages City management leaders to pursue self-development in their respective fields of endeavor
- Works closely with Assistant City Manager in selecting, appointing and terminating subordinate officials and employees
- Oversees preparation of the annual budget and message; advises City Commission regarding City's financial condition including status of major projects and programs
- Prepares periodic and special reports concerning activities of municipal government
- Attends and participates in Commission meetings, including presenting special studies and reports requested by the Commission or on own initiative
- Represents the city in intergovernmental relationships with neighboring counties and cities
- Attends and participates in professional meetings to keep abreast of current developments in municipal government
- Directs real estate sales program and supervises real estate closings
- Delivers speeches to lay and professional groups on City Government
- Performs special projects as directed by the Commission
- Performs a wide variety of relative administrative and executive duties and responsibilities